Friday, June 17, 2011

Goodbye colas. Hello, root beer!


For those who know me, I have lost a lot of weight in the last 7 months or so - 25 pounds roughly. I did it by cutting my calories from whatever I felt like eating to 1800. I was burning on average 2300 calories per day so a 500 calorie shortage per day was 3500 calories per week. One pound of fat is about 3500 calories so I was losing on average about one pound per week.

Much of this control came from cutting out soda and then counting up what I was eating. The sodas really added up largely because I had a lot of them. I suspect some caffeine addiction at play there. Well, the diet is over and I would like to have a carbonated drink from time to time but have elected to move to root beer since they don't have caffeine and won't bring that problem back into my life and waistline.

The big question now is, what is going to be my favorite brand of rootbeer? There is a lot more choice today than there was when I was a kid and a trip to BevMo with a gift card that has been in my possession for over a year and I am about to find out.

I picked up 30 different brands of root beer. That is not a typo - they had THIRTY different ones. I plan to have one a day and see which ones I prefer. I am guessing this will take more than a month because there are brands that I did not see there - Mug, A&W, IBC, Barqs all spring to mind, as well as Jack Black's Dead Red which they sell at BevMo but was out of stock.

So, this weekend, I will start the challenge. Tonight, I am going to run to Save Mart and Vons to get whatever brands I don't have right now, line up all the challengers, take a group photo and start my quest. I also need to get a little bit of Dreyer's Grand French Vanilla because you cannot have a fair taste test of root beer without having a root beer float as part of the analysis.

This evening I will also get together a list of all the brands I have so if there is something I am missing, by all means let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment